Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Peet's New Friend

I had a friend like you
Sitting in the same spot
Every day with out end
With a book and a Racer 5
Irritable should anyone break his solitude
How can you be alone at the corner
bar where the regulars and degenerates meet?

Like you he had authoritative facial hair
In a zone much like you
I would show up once a week on Mondays
Crashing through his protective layer
Conversations of poets and philosophers
Conversations of JR Tolkien and Ray Bradbury
Conversations of his apathy towards his ex-wife's cat
Conversations of genealogy and his quest
of traveling across the country to continue his search
Agreeing not to bring up politics or religion
He was agnostic and a republican

One Monday he wasn't there
Went back Tuesday
Went back Thursday
Still missing
Where? Where is Hank?
Short time later he was gone

I miss those Mondays I so much looked forward to
Visits with an unconventional friend
He was a curmudgeon and me a positive force

Now there you sit
Always with a white hat
Newspaper in hand
Pleased by your presence
I wonder should I make a new friend?
I am afraid of rejection and the potential loss
of another unlikely friend
As I sit across the way
It just feels good to have you there
And today you asked, "How are You?"
A friendly greeting of hello
Finally an acknowledgement

Now you're on your way, escaping
While I was intent on writing this poem
I get a glimpse of you making your way down the walkway
Another person taking your chair

Looking forward to seeing you next time 
My new Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment