Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Cell Phone

My cell phone “fell off the cabbage truck.” At least that is what my mother used to say when something just showed up. Where? We never knew. It just showed up. I actually believed her. I could visualize the truck rumbling down the highway and something falling. This time an iPhone for me.
I feel kind of embarrassed that I have a smart phone either way on the spectrum.
For my friends who still have a flip phone, I am embarrassed that I have a much more expensive phone. I apologize and say it was given to me by my daughter. Where she got it, I wasn’t sure why or how? Thus, it fell off the cabbage truck. I was embarrassed that it made me look richer than them “It is really nothing,” I would explain away my good fortune.
For my other friends who have the latest version of the android, blackberry or iPhone, I am embarrassed because mine is so slow and doesn’t have the newest features. Again it fell off the cabbage truck. So you take what you can get. I worry that they’ll think less of me because I’m not on the tech fast track.
Why am I so concerned with “keeping up with the Jones?” I don’t know.
That was something else my mom used to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment